Full flavored, but yet light lemon taste in this delectable cheesecake.
approx. 25 ginger cookies (gluten free, crushed to 2 3/4 c, crumbs (you can use 'regular' cookies if you prefer, but realize that obviously it will not be gluten free then.)
1/4 c butter/margarine, melted
4 (8 oz) pkgs cream cheese, room temp.
1 1/2 c sugar
8 oz sour cream
2 egg yolks
1/4 c lemon juice
2 t grated lemon zest (or 1 t dried lemon peel, grated)
1 1/2 t vanilla extract
1. Oven: 350*F
2. 9"springform pan (inside I put parchment paper on bottom and sides to have prettier 'release')
3. Large roasting pan - put on bottom shelf filled with water
4. Crust: place cookies in ziploc bag, smoosh until crumbs. (I use my rolling pin.) Transfer crumbs to small bowl. Stir in butter until combined. Transfer to pan; using bottom of measuring cup press onto bottom and 1" up on sides. Bake 12-14 min until lightly browned; reserve.
5. Batter: At high speed beat cream cheese until very light and fluffy (4 min.). Reduce speed to low; beat in sugar. Increase speed to high; beat 2 min. Reduce speed to low. Beat in sour cream, eggs, yolks, juice, zest and vanilla until smooth, 4 mins.
6. Pour batter onto crust. Place pan on cookie sheet. Fill roasting pan with hot water - put on bottom shelf for moisture. Bake 1hr, 30 min. (check cake - sometimes ovens run hot/cold and may need more/less time.)
7. Cool on rack one hour; cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnite.
8. Garnish note: I usually serve by drizzling chocolate sauce in a zig zag sort of thing on the plate then placing the slice of cheesecake in center with 3 rasberries on the side of the slice on the dessert dish as a garnish.
also, I cut this cheesecake using regular dental floss. it will make 16 slices. This is a real favorite in the house. It's also the cake I make every year for my birthday. :)
add'l note: I've discovered that this cake does delightfully without a crust - so you can skip the crust steps if you so desire. :) (I don't always have gluten free homemade cookies just sitting around - I have a tendency to eat them if I see them.)