Saturday, July 31, 2010

Pot Roast with Noodles (or rice)

2-3 lbs beef chuck pot roast (or whatever large cut of meat you find in grocer case - crockpots are VERY forgiving - actually, the cheaper the meat, the better it works in the crockpot!)
1 T oil



green pepper, sliced
onion, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
2 cloves, garlic, minced (or a few Tablespoons of the jarred stuff for quick prep - I LOVE garlic!)
1 T quick cooking tapioca

15 oz can italian style stewed tomatoes, undrained
6 oz can italian style tomato paste (or just add italian herbs - it's what I do)
1 T brown sugar
salt, pepper to taste
1 bay leaf

4 cups hot cooked noodles (or brown rice - my husband is not a pasta person)

trim excess fat from roast. brown all sides in hot oil. *Note* I usually skip this step because honestly, my meat goes in crockpot frozen solid - I rarely remember to thaw meat the day before. . .

place veggies in bottom of greased crockpot. sprinkle the tapioca on top. place meat on top of veggies

Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the meat. (or be lazy like me, lol and just pour each item into crockpot and let it do its own thing, sprinkling the top with the brown sugar. . .. )

cook on low 10-12 hours (if you have thawed meat) - otherwise, cook on high.

discard bay leaf, skim off fat. serve with hot cooked noodles (or rice).

makes about 5-6 servings (at least in our household). I have 2 young boys - 4, 2 and they truly eat as much - and many times MORE than my husband.

takes about 5 minutes prep if you skip the thawing of meat and browning on all sides. the tomato and brown sugar gives the meat a kind of glaze so you don't have 'ugly' meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment